Extensive alterations and additions to an existing 1914 home located in the Plateau Conservation Area of North Sydney Council.
The existing home was a small dilapidated double fronted cottage, with chicken wire as the verandahs ceiling and minimum modern conveniences. The existing home was “modernized” in the 1960’s, removing all original detailing and replacing every window with aluminium windows.
The new design restores the front of the house and transforms the back with a new modern addition. The juxtaposition between the traditional cottage and the industrial aesthetic of the new is seamlessly integrated throughout the split level design. The exposed steel portal frame, polished concrete floors and steel framed windows and doors to the rear embrace the industrial aesthetic.
The upper level floats above the ground floor addition, cantilevering at the stair. The postless corner between the steel corner doors allows for seamless flow from inside to outside.
Sustainability was an important aspect for the design, maximising north facing roofs for solar cells, running hydronic heating through the concrete floors for heating, double glazing to all windows and doors, and keeping the design tight, to ensure no space was wasted.
Compliance was through a Development Application with North Sydney Council.
Contemporary Architecture was involved throughout the whole process. We designed and documented the whole house including the stair, kitchen, laundry and bathrooms while working closely with Woods and Warner who designed the fittings, furniture and finishes. Woods and Warner designed the bedrooms and the bedroom furniture.
Builder: WJ Building
Interior designer: Woods & Warner
Photography: Simon Whitbread Photography